Diabetic seniors can manage their diabetes and be healthy by eating nutritious food. Below, learn which foods diabetic seniors should and shouldn’t eat.
Diabetic seniors should eat:
- Healthy carbs such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, peas, lentils, and dairy products that are low in fat
- High fiber foods such as prunes, apples, beans, whole wheat, and quinoa
- Lean protein meats, skinless and lean poultry
- Healthy fats such as nuts, avocados, and olives
Diabetic seniors shouldn’t eat:
- More than a moderate amount of alcoholic drinks
- Trans-fats and saturated fats
- Salty foods (processed or packaged foods have high amounts of salt)
- Sugary foods such as sodas, drink mixes, coffee creamers and many snacks. (“natural” juices and “no sugar added” often have high amounts of sugar)
- Foods with high cholesterol such as egg yolks, cheese, shrimp, sardines, fast food, and organ meats
At Doral Health & Wellness Social Day Care, you or your loved ones can eat Doral Fresh. Eat nourishing food tailored for seniors, including diabetic patients. Additionally, if enrolled at our Social Day Care, you can order your meals on our app Doral Day Care.
To schedule an appointment at our Doral Health & Wellness Social Day Care, call 718-971-1942 today.