A primary care doctor is someone you can rely on to help you manage a very wide variety of health care needs. They do not just provide routine check-ups, but they also diagnose common chronic illnesses and conditions like hypertension and diabetes.
The most common services that a primary care doctor does are:
- Screening of common health problems
- Treating minor illnesses, skin conditions, and other injuries
- Prescribing medications to treat illnesses
- Conduct regular physical exams
- Managing chronic conditions
Having the same primary care doctor will help you identify health issues earlier. They can you healthier and happier.
There are five main types of primary care doctors that you might need throughout your life. These doctors are highly trained doctors that have different backgrounds and focus. The right primary care doctor will depend on your family’s health care needs.
- Internal Medicine Doctors – These doctors typically work with adults age 18 and older. Internal Medicine Doctors specializes in diagnosing, treating and preventing disease that are mostly common in adult patients.
- Pediatricians – Most might think that primary care doctors are for adults. But pediatricians shouldn’t be overshadowed as they provide preventive care in children that are not over 18 years old. They are the doctors we usually go to for our kid’s immunizations.
- OB-GYNs – An OB-GYN specializes in the female reproductive system. They specialize in women’s health, including caring for woman during pregnancy, to routine pelvic exams and pap smears, and about family planning.
- Family Medicine Doctor – For most people, a family medicine doctor is one doctor who provides primary care to every member of the family, no matter what the age. These family doctors do not just work to the primary health of an individual, but also of the family’s health as a whole.
- Geriatricians – These doctors are specially trained to care for adults over 60 years of age. They treat illnesses and conditions that are common in older adults. They monitor common conditions that may progress with age such as osteoporosis, memory loss and Parkinson’s disease.
Selecting the right doctor might be a process. The right primary care doctor for your family will be managing your day-to-day healthcare needs. They should be someone whom you trust and can teach you ways to stay healthy. Don’t stop until you find the right primary care doctor for you and your family’s need. Finding the right doctors might take time, but they will be great for your family’s well-being in the long run.
At Doral Health and Wellness, our team of primary care physicians aims to provide the best health care and services to everyone. To book an appointment, please visit or call at 718-DORAL-55.