Can You Prevent Skin Cancer?
What is skin cancer? Skin cancer is the most common kind of cancer in the United States. It happens when there is an abnormal growth of skin cells, mostly due to the overexposure of the skin to the sun and its harmful UV rays, tanning beds, and skin lamps.
Lower your risk of skin cancer by protecting your skin from these artificial sources of UV exposures. To know more, contact us at Doral Health and Wellness Dermatology Center and talk to the best dermatologist in East New York.
You can follow these simple tips to prevent overexposure to the sun’s UV rays and to reduce your risk of acquiring skin cancer:
- Seek shade whenever possible – remember that the sun shines its brightest between 10pm and 2pm, always avoid the sun during these hours and even during winter and on cloudy days. UV rays can also reach you during cool days and reflect off of surfaces such as water, sand, cement and snow, so make sure to avoid them when you are out during the day.
- Wear protective clothing – you can cover yourself with lightweight and long-sleeved shirts, pants, and use wide-brimmed hats ang sunglasses when going out into the sun. For an even more effective sun protection, you ca use clothing that has a UV protection factor label.
- Avoid tanning beds – the UV rays from tanning beds are very harmful, they can cause skin cancer and premature skin aging. Avoid using these equipment as much as possible.
- Use a broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with at least SPF 15 or higher
- Always use sunscreen when going out, even on cloudy days
- Apply enough sunscreen especially to skin that cannot be covered by your clothing, especially areas that are overexposed to the sun
- When doing activities outdoors, don’t forget to re-apply sunscreen every two hours, especially on your feet, neck, and face
- Perform regular skin exams – early detection of skin cancer is helpful because it’s when it’s most treatable. See your dermatologist if you notice new or suspicious spots on your skin, or anything that is changing in color and/or bleeding
Sun damage can accumulate over the years, so make sure that you protect yourself from prolonged outdoor exposure to the simplest and mundane activities like walking and going out to do simple activities.
At Doral Health and Wellness Dermatology Center, we have the best dermatologists that can help you take care of your skin. As dermatology experts in East New York, we are dedicated in providing the best services. You can visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York, 11212, to schedule an appointment. You can also call us at 1-347-384-5690 or visit our website at https://www.bestbrooklyndermatologist.com.