Pulmonary fibrosis is a serious and lifelong disease, it causes scarring to the lungs that makes it harder to breathe. Currently, there is no cure for pulmonary fibrosis, just medications to slow down the scarring to preserve your lung function. Medications and therapies are used to help with the symptoms and improvement of your quality of life.
Always consult a pulmonologist if you notice signs and symptoms that you have a problem with your lungs. Contact the best pulmonologist in Brooklyn by visiting Doral Health and Wellness Pulmonary Center.
Signs and symptoms of pulmonary fibrosis can include:
- Shortness of breath
- Dry cough
- Muscle aches and joint pains
- Weight loss
In most cases, there is no specific cause for pulmonary fibrosis. But in a few instances, causes for this condition can be identified as:
- Exposure to certain types of dusts
- Exposure to allergens
- A viral or bacterial infection
- A side effect of a drug or of certain treatments
Some types of pulmonary fibrosis occur along with other medical conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.
Unfortunately, pulmonary fibrosis has no cure. This condition is a lifelong medical condition. Treatment is focused on easing the symptoms and improving your quality of life. Most medical providers will recommend one or more treatments, which can include:
- Medication – to slow down the scarring of the lungs, and also to help preserve the function of your lungs
- Oxygen therapy – giving your body extra oxygen will help you breathe more easily.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation – this is a special exercise program that will help you improve how much you can do everyday activities
- Lung transplant – a lung transplant is a major surgery and not everyone is eligible for this kind of treatment.
Pulmonary fibrosis can cause strain to the right side of your heart, it can also lead to high blood pressure. But it severe cases, it can cause heart failure.
In some cases of pulmonary fibrosis, it develops slowly. You may not even notice a symptom during the early stages of your condition. Medical providers can’t also predict how fast or slow a person’s condition may progress because it affects everyone differently. Others will live only months after the diagnosis, while others live several years after. There are many factors that can affect your prognosis.
If you notice changes in your respiratory system, consult a pulmonologist for a proper diagnosis. Early intervention will help maintain and preserve your lung function.
At Doral Health and Wellness Pulmonary Center, we offer the best possible expertise and care in all aspects of pulmonology. Visit our pulmonologists to have your signs and symptoms checked. To schedule an appointment, you can visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11212, or call us at 1-347-384-5690. You can also visit our website at https://pulmonologistbrooklyn.com.