How to Take Care of Your Bladder
The urinary tract system in our body serves a very important purpose as it is responsible for eliminating the body’s waste. If you have issues with the urinary tract system, you can always consult with the best urologist in Brooklyn at Doral Health and Wellness – Urology Center.
Your bladder is part of your body’s urinary tract system, this is the organ that is responsible for storing your urine. And there are many conditions that can affect your bladder if you are not taking care of it properly.
For more information about bladder problems, you can visit us at Doral Health and Wellness – Urology Center.
While we cannot completely control everything that can happen to our bladder, here are some of the precautions we can take to keep it as healthy as possible:
- Use the bathroom whenever you need you need to use it. Don’t try to hold back whenever you need to urinate. Or you can at least try to urinate every three to four hours to make sure that you won’t be holding urine in your bladder for too long. It can weaken the muscles in your bladder and make you more prone to develop an infection.
- Make sure that you take as much time as you need when urinating, to fully empty your bladder. Rushing can only make it harder for you to fully empty your bladder. Also, for women, hovering over the seat when urinating will make it hard for you to relax and not fully empty your bladder. So, it is best that you seat in the toilet seat.
- Urinate after sexual intercourse. This can help you eliminate the bacteria that you get when you engage in sexual activities. Both men and women should practice this after every sexual activity to lower to the risk of infection.
- Do pelvic floor exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles. These muscles help you keep your urine from leaking when you sneeze or cough, laugh or lift something heavy. Doing these exercises also strengthens the muscles that help you empty your bladder.
- Drinking enough fluids, especially water, can help you urinate every few hours. How much water your body needs will depend on various factors, such as your body size, your activity level, and the weather where you live. But if you have heart disease or kidney problems, you might need to drink less water. Talk to your healthcare provider first.
- Limit your alcohol and caffeine intake. Drinking alcohol can make your bladder problem worse and caffeinated drinks can bother your bladder, making you go the bathroom frequently.
- Keep a healthy lifestyle. Watch your weight and exercise regularly. Always choose to make healthy food choices and keep being physically active. Some of your bladder problems might be triggered by the food that you eat.
- Quit smoking. Smoking can make your bladder problem worse. Smoking can also increase the risk of you developing bladder cancer. Quit smoking the soonest possible time.
Having bladder problems can disrupt your day-to-day routine. Know your symptoms and always try to stay healthy. You can consult the best urologist in Brooklyn by visiting Doral Health and Wellness – Urology Center. You can visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11212 to book an appointment. You can also call us at 1-347-384-5690 or visit our website at http://www.urologistbrooklyn.com/ to book an appointment online.