Bowel dysfunction is the loss of normal bowel function, this is also often caused by a nerve problem. If you had an injury to the spinal cord or a nerve disease can damage the nerves that help control the function of your colon, this is the part of the body that helps get rid of solid waste out of the body.
If you notice symptoms of bowel dysfunction, you can consult Doral Health and Wellness Urology Center and consult the best urologists in East New York.
Nerves in the spinal cord are the ones responsible for sending messages from the brain to your bladder. The sphincter muscles control the flow of your urine and the muscles in your rectum and anus control and release stools. These are the muscles and nerves that allow urine and stool to be removed from your body.
Symptoms for bowel dysfunction may vary from person to person. But some symptoms are common across all types of bowel dysfunction. And they may include:
- Pain and discomfort in your abdomen area
- Gas and abdominal bloating
If you notice blood on your stool, make sure that you contact your medical provider immediately. It could mean something serious especially if it comes with a fever and you have a sudden weight loss.
In most cases, there is no specific cause for bowel dysfunction. But there are many conditions that can affect your nerves and muscles that control the bladder and bowel. Bowel dysfunction can be caused by several conditions, which can include:
- Vaginal childbirth
- Damage to the nervous system from a disease or injury
- Rectal prolapse
- Crohn’s disease
If you are experiencing symptoms of bowel dysfunction, consult your urologist or primary doctor right away. They will help you find the cause of your condition and will order a series of tests to come up with the proper diagnosis.
If you have bowel dysfunction, you need to have a routine bowel management program. Treatments can also include:
- Exercises – Kegel exercises help strengthen your sphincter muscles and pelvic floor
- Medication – some medicines help control bowel dysfunction
- Change in diet – increasing your fiber intake will help manage diarrhea and constipation. Drinking plenty of fluid can also help ease constipation
- Electrical stimulation – this is a therapy where they can stimulate your damaged nerves, giving you better muscle control in your bowel
- Surgery – in rare cases, surgery might be needed to repair muscle of nerve damages
It is also important that you follow a bowel management plan. It can also help prevent other related problems, such as hemorrhoids and bowel blockage. Having a good bowel care practice will help prevent bowel movement accidents.
For any urology problem, our team of urologists at Doral Health and Wellness Urology Center will help you diagnose, treat, and manage your condition. To schedule an appointment, you may call us at 1-347-384-5690 or visit our website at http://www.urologistbrooklyn.com/. You can also visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11212.