Four Types of Prostatitis
Prostatitis is when your prostate becomes swollen, tender, and inflamed. This condition is not cancer and is very different from having an enlarged prostate.
At Doral Health and Wellness Urology Center, our urologists offer prostatitis treatment at our clinic. We also have a prostate ultrasound and biopsy to fully check the condition of your prostate.
The prostate is a gland that can only be found in men. It is found below your bladder and in front of your rectum. It is responsible in making fluid that contains the sperm, this fluid will protect the sperm when they travel toward the woman’s egg during intercourse.
There are four types of prostatitis. Each has their own set of symptoms and causes.
- Acute bacterial prostatitis (category 1) – UTI causes an infection in the prostate gland. Symptoms can include fever and chills. You can experience difficulty in urinating or painful and frequent urination. This condition will require immediate medical attention. This condition is usually caused by a common strain of bacteria, which spread from other parts of the urinary tract or reproductive systems.
- Chronic bacterial prostatitis (category 2) – when a certain type of bacteria is trapped in your prostate gland, it can cause recurrent UTIs that can become difficult to treat. This condition generally has the same cause as acute bacterial prostatitis.
- Chronic pelvic pain syndrome, or CPPS (category 3) – this condition is the most common type of prostatitis. Inflammation in the prostate gland can occur in about 1 out of 3 men. This type causes chronic pain in the pelvis, perineum, and male genitalia.
- Asymptomatic inflammatory prostatitis (category 4) – this condition causes inflammation in your prostate gland without symptoms. You can find out about this condition after getting tests for other problems, such as fertility tests.
There are several conditions that can contribute to the symptoms and signs associated with prostatitis. Getting an accurate diagnosis is important to start the right treatment plan for your condition. If you experience the following symptoms, it is advisable that you get immediate medical attention:
- Inability to pass urine
- Blood in your urine
- Painful urination, with fever
- Extreme discomfort/pain in the pelvic area or genitals
Treatments for prostatitis vary depending on its cause and type. Asymptomatic inflammatory prostatitis doesn’t require treatment. But for bacterial forms of prostatitis, acute and chronic prostatitis, antibiotics are used for its treatment. Treating chronic prostatitis can also take months.
Immediate treatment for UTI can help prevent the infection from spreading to the prostate. Consulting a doctor right away after experiencing symptoms can also help prostatitis from developing into a more serious condition.
Talk to our medical provider and urologists to discuss treatment options that can help you with your condition. At Doral Health and Wellness Urology Center, our team of urologists will help you diagnose, treat, and manage your condition. To schedule an appointment, you can visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York, 11212, or you may call us at 1-347-384-5690. You can also visit our website at http://www.urologistbrooklyn.com/.