Preventing Eye Strain Due to Digital Screen Usage
Did you know that looking at a computer, on your mobile phone, or on any digital screen for too long can cause strain on your eyes? And in the long run can cause permanent damage to your eyes. Although the old belief that watching too much television and sitting too close to your television can ruin your eyes turns out to be a myth, it can still cause uncomfortable effects on your eyes.
If you have problems with your eyes, Doral Health and Wellness Ophthalmology Center have the best eye doctor in Brooklyn. Contact us at Doral Health and Wellness Ophthalmology Center to schedule an appointment.
Digital eye strain can affect people of all ages. And because we are currently in the “digital age”, we are most likely to be glued to our mobile phones and screens all day. To help prevent eye strain, here are some tips that you can try:
- Blinking can help when you use your screen too much. Blinking will help moisten your eyes. So when working in front of your computer, make a conscious effort to blink as often as possible. This will keep your drying from drying out. If you must, put a reminder on your screen to remind you to blink often.
- Do the 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 minutes, look away from your screen for about 20 feet away and blink your eyes for at least 20 seconds.
- If you must, you can use artificial tears to help you freshen your eyes. You can also use the humidifier to add moisture in the air.
- Adjust the brightness and contrast in your computer screens and mobile phone. Your screen brightness needs to match the level of light of the surroundings you are in. When looking at a poorly lit surroundings, your eyes will need to work harder to see. And this can cause strain on your eyes.
- Use glasses that are designed for computer use, especially when working on a computer all day long. If you are using prescription glasses, talk to your optometrist if you can make your prescription glasses safe for long computer use too.
- If your computer or television has a lot of glare, try to use a matte screen filter to reduce the glare. You can also do this on your mobile phone. Talk to a technician or at a computer store and inquire about a matte screen filter.
- Your position in front of your computer needs to be “measured”. You should sit for at least 25 inches away from your screen to reduce eye strain. Also, if possible, try to position your screen so your eyes slightly gaze downward on the screen instead of upwards.
If you are someone who uses contact lenses, you may notice that your eyes get dry easily when working in front of your computer for long periods of time. Try to rest your eyes and moisten them consistently. Also, make sure that you practice good contact lens hygiene to prevent bacteria buildup on your lenses.
At Doral Health and Wellness Ophthalmology Center, our eye doctors can help you care for your eyes. To schedule an appointment, please call us at 1-347-384-5690 or visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11212. You can also visit our website at https://www.ophthalmologybrooklyn.com.