9 Things in your fridge that are bad for your health
Did you know that there are food products in your fridge that are bad for your health? Not only are they bad for your health but they also can make you sick.
Learn about those foods from this article.
We keep food items like vegetables, fruits, snacks, and water bottles in the fridge. Thinking the fridge preserves all the food items and they all are healthy is not the truth. Most of the time, people don’t use the fridge to keep vegetables and fruits but instead, ketchup, mayonnaise, cold drinks, etc. which are not only bad for your health but can also make you sick.
To keep our bodies healthy, we need to eat food that contains fiber, nutrients, and vitamins, which keep us fit and active. These types of food products do not contain fiber, have a high amount of trans fats, and no vitamins at all. Which is not good for your health.
That’s why it is necessary to avoid those food items that are not good for your health.
9 worst foods in the Fridge and their healthy alternatives
- Ketchup: One of the favorite sides of any food, you think how this bottle of ketchup can harm you because it is made from tomatoes, right? Well, you’re wrong here. While this ketchup is made from tomatoes it also contains other preservatives and sugars (to make it sweet). And one tablespoon of ketchup contains 4 grams of sugar. So, what do you think now? Try some alternatives to ketchup because, in the long term, this might be a reason for your sugar increase. As an alternative, you can use homemade marinara sauce.
- Mayonnaise: Another favorite side, people love to use mayonnaise with sandwiches, burgers, fries, etc. But this contains 93.8 calories in one tablespoon. And it also contains 50% of the daily recommended amount of sodium. Which can easily grow your calorie count in minutes. So, instead of using mayonnaise on your sandwiches, try Dijon mustard which contains 15 calories, and toss the mayonnaise.
- Butter: Now, we know that most people love to spread butter on their morning piece of toast, or to make an omelet. But it’s not a healthy option because one tablespoon of butter contains 100 calories, 7 g of saturated fat, and 30g of cholesterol. Even if you try to use margarine or trans-fat-free butter they still have trans-fat in them. So, now you know why this should not be on your diet. An alternate option is olive oil. Olive oil contains monounsaturated fat which makes it a better option.
- Ice cream: The favorite after-meal dessert is also on this list, why? Well, you may be surprised to know that one ice cream serving contains 150 calories. If you love to eat more servings then be ready to gain fat, sugar, and calories. As an alternative, you should choose a regular or Greek yogurt for low calories and healthier dessert options. You can put some honey, fresh fruit, or a crunchy cookie on top.
- Cold drinks/Soda: I guess this one doesn’t surprise you, right? But the amount of sugar it contains will surprise you for sure. An average soda bottle contains 140 calories and 10 teaspoons of sugar in it. Whether you drink regular soda or diet soda it can lead to high blood pressure, belly fat, and insulin resistance that increase the chances of type 2 diabetes and heart problems. These are also bad for children and teenagers as these sweet beverages can lead to childhood obesity. A better alternative is to drink fresh juice, water, and iced tea.
- Flavored yogurt: While plain yogurt is good for health, flavored yogurt is not. Why is that? Because flavored yogurt contains 3 times more sugar than plain one. So, choose a plain yogurt that gives you more fiber, less sugar, and many nutrients. If you are planning to lose weight a full-fat yogurt can help you as it keeps you feeling full longer, that helps you to lose weight.
- Frozen meat: Well, your favorite sausage is also bad, as to keep meat fresh it has been processed through curing and smoking which can lead to colorectal cancer and stomach cancer too. Not only hot dogs filling, but sausages, ham, corned beef, and others come under this.
- Frozen pizza: Sad news for pizza lovers! Frozen pizza is harmful. A normal frozen pizza contains 1920 calories in (6 slices of pizza), 5040mg sodium, and 30 grams of saturated fats. So, next time before trying a pizza look at your belly fat that keeps increasing. Instead of frozen pizza, eat veggies, berries or drink some soup for better health.
- Donuts: This sweetened ring with topping might not be good for you. Why? Because this contains 200 calories with 12 grams of saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol. And if you are eating an old-fashioned donut, it is worse, because they contain 300 calories, 28 grams of carbs, and 19 grams of fat which include 5 grams of saturated fat and 4 grams of trans fats. Regular consumption may lead to heart disease or stroke. As for alternatives, eat a whole-grain bagel. As it contains 125 calories, less than a gram of fat, and 3 grams of cholesterol-lowering fiber.
Maintaining good health is essential to a good life. Preserve vegetables and fruits for some days before use. That is what the fridge is made for. Keeping and eating the above-mentioned food items only degrades your health. So, try their alternatives to keep yourself healthy.
Want to know the other foods products that are bad for your health? Call us on 1-347-384-5690 to get a consultation. And if you’re in need of dietary advice, get a consultation, or walk in for an appointment at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11212. You can also visit our website to book an appointment online at https://doralhw.org or contact us at email@example.com if you have any queries.