Can anxiety be relieved by food/diet?
Do you know certain foods can reduce your anxiety? Yes, certain foods help you feel calmer and reduce your anxiety symptoms. These foods contain nutrients and antioxidants which improve brain functions and increase the production of mood-enhancing hormones. It cannot cure your anxiety but helps you to relieve its symptoms. So, you must know what foods you should add to your diet to reduce your anxiety. Visit the best Mental Health Clinic in Brooklyn at Doral Health & Wellness or log on to www.doralhw.org.
Learn about those 5 foods that reduce your anxiety by eating in this article.
Can food relieve anxiety?
Yes, certain foods can reduce your anxiety symptoms. Studies show that food can make you feel calmer while other foods only act like stimulants but work temporarily. Besides, your doctor may recommend making changes in your diet to relieve your anxiety symptoms. It happens because stress causes anxiety. We all suffer from stress at one point in life. Stress is caused when we go through tough situations which causes both mental and emotional pressure. If your anxiety or panic attacks are caused by stress, eating certain foods can reduce your symptoms. Keep in mind, that diet cannot cure anxiety. Certain foods can help you combat your anxiety symptoms and produce a calming effect on the body, but other foods can increase your anxiety too after eating.
5 foods that relieve Anxiety
These are the 5 foods that you can eat to relieve your anxiety:
- Dark chocolate: Eating dark chocolate is a good option to reduce your anxiety. It contains flavanols which are plant-based compounds that act as antioxidants. It helps to improve brain function and produce neuroprotective effects. It also increases the blood flow to the brain to enhance cell-signaling pathways. All these effects make you feel better in stressful situations which prevents anxiety and other mood disorders. To get the best results, eat them in moderation (by eating 1 to 1.5-ounce serving at a time).
- Green tea: Second on this list is green tea. It contains L-theanine, which is an amino acid that positively affects the brain to reduce anxiety. A random study found that drinking green tea can lower stress and decrease cortisol levels, which is a hormone that is released when our body encounters stress. It happens because L-theanine can prevent nerves from getting overexcited while increasing GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid), dopamine, and serotonin neurotransmitters that produce anti-anxiety effects. Additionally, green tea also contains epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) which is an antioxidant that promotes brain health. This helps to reduce certain symptoms by increasing GABA in the brain. To sum up, green tea is the best choice to relieve anxiety symptoms and promote calmness.
- Blueberries: Blueberries contain vitamin C and antioxidants such as flavonoids that can improve mental health and relieve anxiety. One 4-week study shows that if adolescents are given wild blueberries as a daily supplement, it helps them to have fewer symptoms of depression. Even some animal studies found that blueberries contain certain compounds that may reduce oxidative stress and ease the symptoms of depression and anxiety. Additionally, some studies show that a high intake of blueberries may lower your risk of anxiety permanently. Still, more studies are needed to understand the benefits of blueberries on anxiety.
- Yogurt: Yogurt contains healthy bacteria which help to improve your well-being, including mental health. It happens because probiotics support the gut-brain axis which is the intricate system between the gastrointestinal tract and the brain. Having healthy gut bacteria is linked with good mental health. Additionally, probiotic foods like yogurt also improve brain functions by reducing inflammation and increasing the production of mood-boosting neurotransmitters such as serotonin. According to one study, if you eat yogurt daily for 6 weeks (about 1 and a half months), it will improve anxiety, stress, and quality of life in postmenopausal females. Even with all these positive results, more human trials are needed to understand the relationship between yogurt consumption and anxiety. Keep in mind that not all yogurt contains probiotics. To get the benefits of probiotics, you need to choose a yogurt that contains live active cultures listed in its ingredients.
- Almonds: Almonds contain several nutrients that improve brain function including vitamin E and healthy fats. Some animal studies have found that almonds could reduce oxidative stress and inflammation, which helps in the development of anxiety. Additionally, almonds also have mood-boosting properties. For instance, one study shows that a high intake of nuts, especially almonds, can decrease the symptoms of depression. Another study shows that males who consumed the highest number of nuts are 66% less likely to experience anxiety symptoms compared to people who consume the lowest amount. However, this test is not performed on females. That’s why more studies are needed to understand how almonds improve mood and anxiety.
These are the 5 foods that reduce your anxiety and depression. But keep in mind, these foods may reduce your anxiety, but they cannot cure it. You can add these fruits to your diet to get relief from anxiety symptoms and to live a better life.
Need tips on how to consume these foods to get the maximum benefits; or if you need help dealing with your negative thoughts and feelings, call us on +1-347-384-5690 to get a consultation. If you need help learning coping methods, register your information and make direct contact with our doctors and psychiatrists to learn those methods, log on to www.doralhw.org. Doral Health and Wellness has the best Doctors and Psychiatrists who specialize in Behavioral Health, make accurate diagnoses, and craft tailored treatment programs. Visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11212.