So, after a lot of thinking you have decided to lose weight…. You want to make a diet plan you can follow. But wait, do you know how your metabolism works? Because it plays a vital role to use energy for your body. So, it’s important to consider while making a diet plan. Keep reading to know more about metabolism and how you can use your BMR to make a diet plan.
If you know how your metabolism works, it can help you to maintain an ideal weight. Metabolism is defined as the chemical reaction that happens in your body to convert food into energy for all body functions. You can measure BMR to get an idea of how many calories your body uses to maintain the necessary functions of your body.
What is BMR? How to calculate it?
BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is defined as the number of calories that the body needs to perform basic functions while being at rest.
These are the basic functions required to work always to sustain life such as:
- Blood circulation
- Nutrient processing
- Cell production and repair and more
This can give you an idea of how many calories your body needs daily to make energy for the basic functioning of the body. BMR accounts for 65 to 70% of the total calories taken in a day.
If you calculate your BMR you can get the exact number of calories, you need to maintain the basic functions. This is helpful in making your diet plan. You can cut the extra calories that are not required.
You can calculate the BMR with the help of the Harris-Benedict formula, which considers your weight, height, age, and gender.
- Women: BMR = 655 + (9.6 × weight in kg) + (1.8 × height in cm) – (4.7 × age in years)
- Men: BMR = 66 + (13.7 × weight in kg) + (5 × height in cm) – (6.8 × age in years)
How do you use BMR to lose weight?
Weight loss is not a simple process, it takes lots of time and effort, you need to adopt the right techniques that work for you. By calculating your BMR, you can customize your diet plan according to the right number of calories and macronutrients required for your body. If you plan to lose body fat, consume fewer calories than you burn. You can achieve it by removing the number of calories you need to maintain the BMR from your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). And then, take fewer calories than you take according to your TDEE. This way your body starts burning extra fat to give you energy. And you start losing weight. Remember don’t drop your daily calorie intake too low to lose weight quickly, because it can lead to nutrition deficiencies. Always take the optimal approach to lose weight so that you don’t develop any adverse side effects.
Use BMR to create a diet plan to lose fat
- First of all, remove all the unnecessary snacks or treats you take- Soda, chips, alcohol, chocolate, etc.
- You can drink tea or coffee once or twice a day. Not more than that. Because although caffeine boosts the metabolism to burn more fat, it also leads to sleeping problems that can increase your weight gain.
- Try to eat food that is natural with fewer calories and lots of nutrients, especially proteins. Because protein helps to lose body fat and to build muscle.
- You can use Glycemic Index to choose food that is high in nutrients and less in calories/glucose content.
- Lower the intake of fats and carbs as they increase body weight.
By following these points, you can create a diet plan that works for your weight loss.
Perfect Weight is not easy to achieve and maintain. You need to be persistent with your calorie intake, exercise regime, and nutrition to shed that extra fat from your body.
Want ready-to-use diet plans for your fitness journey?
Call us at 718-DORAL-55 to know more about these customized plans that work for your weight loss.