Medical Assistant Job Responsibilities:
· Helps patients by providing information, services, and assistance.
· Maintains medical supplies inventory and performing preventive maintenance to keep medical equipment operating.
· Verifies patient information by interviewing patient, recording medical history, and confirming the purpose of the visit.
· Prepares patients for examination by performing preliminary physical tests; taking blood pressure, weight, and temperature; and reporting patient history summary.
· Saves doctors’ time by helping with office procedures.
· Secures patient information and maintains patient confidence by completing and safeguarding medical records; completing diagnostic coding and procedure coding; and keeping patient information confidential.
· Counsel patients by transmitting physician’s orders and questions about surgery.
· Schedules surgeries by making arrangements with the surgical center; verifying times with patients; and preparing charts and pre-admission and consent forms.
· Maintains a safe, secure, and healthy work environment by establishing and following standards and procedures and complying with legal regulations.
· Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock, placing orders, and verifying receipt.
· Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions, troubleshooting breakdowns, maintaining supplies, performing preventive maintenance, and calling for repairs.
· Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading professional publications.
· Serves and protects the practice by adhering to professional standards; facility policies and procedures; and federal, state, and local requirements.
· Enhances practice reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests, and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Medical Assistant Qualifications/Skills:
· Supply management
· Verbal communication
· Infection control
· Creating a safe, effective environment
· Customer focus
· Bedside manner
· Medical teamwork
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
· Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA)
· Bachelor’s degree preferred
· 3+ years in a medical office
· Experience with EMR (electronic medical records), medical terminology
· Previous experience in specific medical field preferred