Rosacea is a skin condition that causes flushing and visible blood vessels in the face. It can cause redness on the nose, chin, checks and forehead. It may also produce small, puss-gilled bumps. It can sometimes be mistaken for acne or other skin problems. This condition is more common in women and people with lighter skin, but men tend to have more severe symptoms.
Flare-ups can occur in cycles, which mean you may experience symptoms for weeks or months at a time, symptoms will go away for a few months and then return.
Rosacea’s appearance can vary from person to person. Most of the time not all potential symptoms appear, but always have at least one primary sign and have various secondary symptoms.
Primary signs can include:
· Flushing – facial redness is one of the earliest signs of rosacea
· Persistent redness – this sign can resemble a blush or sunburn that doesn’t go away
· Visible blood vessels – small blood vessel can become visible on the skin
· Bumps and pimples – puss-filled pimples may develop, and bumps may sometimes resemble as acne
Secondary signs can include:
· Eyes may appear watery and irritated
· Dry appearance of facial skin
· Facial swelling
· Raised red patches
· Skin might thicken from excess tissue
· Burning and stinging sensation might occur in the face
· Signs and symptoms might also develop beyond the face, affecting the neck, chest scalp and ears
Causes for rosacea is still unknown but it could be due to an overactive immune system, genes, environmental factors, or a combination of all. Flare ups could be triggered by:
· Spicy foods
· Extreme temperature
· Sun and wind
· Some cosmetic, skin or hair products
· Drugs that dilate the blood vessels
Treatments for rosacea may vary from person to person. But the common treatments for this condition are:
· Medicines – doctors will prescribe oral and topical medicines to treat the bumps, pimples, and redness
· Surgical procedures – doctors sometimes recommend laser surgery to remove visible blood vessels, to limit the extensive redness on the face
Rosacea is a condition that can cause distress. If you or someone you know have this condition, book an appointment with a dermatologist immediately, to get proper diagnosis and manage the symptoms.
At Doral Health and Wellness, our team of specialist are the best dermatologists in Brooklyn. We aim to help you manage your condition. We help examine your condition, order lab tests, make a diagnosis and work with you for a treatment plan that best suit your condition. To book an appointment, you can at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York or call us 718-DORAL-55. You can also visit our website at https://doralhw.org to book an appointment online.