Are you overweight and your doctor has recommended that you follow a 20/20 diet plan to lose weight? This diet plan is specially designed for people who are overweight and obese to lose weight so that they can maintain good health without any further complications.
According to the Bariatrics & Nutrition Guidelines of 2022, following the 20/20 diet plan is recommended for the treatment of obesity and overweight people. And you need to follow this diet plan to prepare yourself if you need to undergo weight loss surgery.
Learn about the 20/20 diet plan in detail, in this article.
Obesity is the most common chronic disease in the world. According to WHO (World Health Organization) Global Statistics of 2021, 13% of adults are obese, 39% of adults are overweight, and 1 out of every 5 children globally are overweight. And it is estimated that one billion people will live with obesity in 2030. If you do not take care of your obesity you might end up developing more health problems including – heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, digestive issues, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, and certain types of cancer.
So, you can understand how important it is for you to treat obesity. The first treatment used to treat obesity is by making changes in your diet and lifestyle. And for that 20/20 diet plan is used as the first line of treatment.
What is the 20/20 diet?
This 20/20 diet plan is a form of mindful eating, which means you need to enjoy the experience of the food you eat without judging. We are more aware of what we are eating by limiting the snacks and amount of food we eat and chewing slowly so that eating feels enjoyable.
While eating turn off any and every distraction, only focus on what you are eating and how it looks, tastes, and feels (texture) so that you experience eating like never before. It also helps you to generate maximum benefits from food.
When you eat slowly and chew well, your body does not stress out and you do not feel dull and hungry; instead, you feel full and satisfied for a longer time. This will help to remove the extra snacks you consume and helps to lose weight without putting stress on the body. And you will be able to maintain good health.
How does it work?
General Guidelines for 20/20 diet plan
- Eat balanced meals using a small fork or teaspoon to consume a small amount of food. Ensure that the bite-size is not bigger than 20 pence per piece.
- Chew your food well (at least 20 times) until it becomes easy to swallow. And chew more if you’re eating fibrous food.
- Stop eating your food after 20 minutes. Don’t try to eat your entire meal within 5 to 10 minutes because the brain takes approximately 20 minutes to understand whether you are full or not. Quickly eating will make you consume more food than your body really needs.
- Eat a diet that is low in calories, fats, and sweets.
- Keep a daily record of your calorie intake and food portions that helps you to track how many calories you need to maintain your overall health and how much it helps you to lose weight.
- Drink extra water between meals to avoid dehydration. You can also take low-calorie fluids, but you should not take liquids that contain caffeine.
- Sip 1 cup of fluid between each small meal, six to eight times a day.
- You should drink 2 liters of water to meet your target.
- You should avoid consuming rice, bread, raw vegetables and fruits, meat that is not easily chewable such as pork and steak, alcohol, etc.
- You need to maintain the average requirements of vitamins and nutrients in your body.
Following this diet plan is really effective for weight loss, maintaining good health, enjoying what you eat, and limiting your eating. That’s why it is the first line of treatment for obesity and overweight.
Want to know more about Weight loss?
Call us at 347-868-1060 to book an appointment at our clinic. Doral Health and wellness has expert bariatric surgeons who perform various Laparoscopic weight loss procedures. So, call us now!!!