The Latest Advances in Cardiology: What to Expect in 2023 and Beyond
Did you know, the latest advancement in cardiology can decrease your risk of death from heart failure significantly? Many advancements are happening in the field of cardiology which can improve your heart health significantly and allow you to monitor heart function better. To learn more in detail about these latest advances in cardiology read the full article. Get a consultation with the best cardiologists in Brooklyn.
Latest advances in cardiology
Many recent advances in cardiology can improve your heart health and manage your condition. It includes:
In the field of medication, there are a lot of new medicines introduced that lower blood pressure, improve the heart’s ability to pump blood, slow heart rate, and improve heart rhythms to prevent scarring of the heart muscles that lead to heart failure. These new medicines helped many people and are believed by health professionals to be more effective in improving heart health. Some of those medicines are:
- Ivabradine (Corlanor): This drug can stabilize chest pain and heart failure.
- Sacibitiril/ valsartan (Entresto): This drug is useful to lower the risk of death and hospitalization in adults with poor heart health.
- Semaglutide: This drug is used to treat obese patients who have heart conditions as well.
- Omecamtiv: This drug can help the heart to pump blood more efficiently. In one study, it also lowers the risk of dying people who have heart failure with reduced ejection fraction, which means the left side of the heart is not able to pump blood properly.
- Vericiguat: This new drug belongs to a class of heart failure drugs called guanylate cyclase (sGC) inhibitors. In studies, this drug lowers the risk of patients dying from heart failure.
- Sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT2) inhibitors: This group of drugs was first developed to treat diabetes, however, it found that it can lower the risk of dying or hospitalization of patients from heart failure. It can be used whether you have diabetes or not.
- Technological advancements:
Researchers claim that by 2030, more than 8 million adults may develop heart failure, an increase of 50% from 2010. But the good news is that these new technological advancements in health technologies can improve patient outcomes:
- Holter monitor: This device is fitted by the doctor and calibrated to a patient’s heart to monitor your heart reading which allows the doctors to check whether treatment plans are working or not. This way the doctor can monitor the progress of your heart health when you visit them.
- Zio patch: This is a small water-resistant patch applied to your chest which is used to monitor your heart rhythm. After 2 weeks, the patient can return the patch which is also used for EKG data for analysis.
- Implantable devices: A small device is implanted in your pulmonary artery with a surgical procedure. Once inserted, the device is connected to the artery, and it sends the data to the cardiologist for review. This device can also reduce the risk of heart failure and hospitalizations by 28%.
- Phone apps: Many apps also help patients monitor their heart rhythm. These apps can find irregular heartbeats or increase heart rates to help patients with their heart failure treatments. Some of the apps are – Health Failure Storylines, Apple Health App, and Blood Pressure Monitor.
- Nanomaterials to manage cholesterol levels: Fatty deposits in the blood vessels by bad cholesterol are the most common cause of various cardiovascular diseases. While statins only lower the levels of low-density lipoprotein (Bad cholesterol) in the blood, they also affect other tissues such as muscles which make them intolerant for some people. But nanomaterials can transfer the cholesterol-lowering drugs exactly to the main sites where these fatty deposits will occur. This material is incredibly small but very stable and effective. It biodegrades itself once the drugs reach the specific sites.
- Use of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) to understand heart condition: AI can solve complex problems that require deep human intervention. With advanced technology, machine learning with AI can accurately analyze substantial amounts of data quickly. This improves decision-making, accurate diagnosis, and treatment planning to detect specific patterns in patient data.
Now cardiovascular doctors and scientists combine AI in clinical practice for better care. For example, people with stroke are analyzed by computer-trained CT (Computerized Tomography) data, to scan, and diagnose their stroke which saves a lot of valuable time and someone’s life. Similarly, by applying AI to ECGs it can detect any abnormality in the heart pump, which if left untreated can cause heart failure.With the latest technology advancements in cardiology managing heart conditions and preventing serious heart cases can be reduced easily. These advancements can also help in maintaining good heart health and alert you on time if you experience any heart problems.
To know whether you qualify for new treatment options or not, call us on +1(347) 384-5690, or visit our cardiology clinic in Brooklyn. The Cardiologists at Doral Health & Wellness consistently have outstanding patient satisfaction ratings. Our Cardiologists are able to greatly improve their patient’s health and quality of life because of their vast training and experience. New Yorkers can get the best medical, surgical, and cardiovascular care at Doral Health & Wellness Brooklyn. Visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11212.