Understanding and Treating Acne Scars: Effective Solutions for Clearer Skin
We’ve all been through that phase where acne has been our worst enemy. And even when you have surpassed your acne breakouts, scars remain and are sometimes so hard to get rid of. A dermatologist can help you in treating your acne scars. Consult the best dermatologist in East New York at Doral Health and Wellness Dermatology Center.
Acne scars are very stubborn and there is no single treatment that is fit for everyone. Every scar is different and treating acne scars may need a combination of different other treatments, depending on your skin type, your scar type, and the severity of your scars.
These are some of the treatments that you can try to improve your acne scars:
- Home skin care – there are home remedies that you can try to treat your acne scars like using black seed oil, rosehip oil, honey, or aloe vera. Although there is no clear scientific basis for these remedies, some may cause further irritation to your skin.
- Over-the-counter creams and lotions – the use of sunscreen can help in limiting the contrast between your scar and your skin. There are also some medicated creams that can help, such as azelaic acid or hydroxyl acid, and salicylic acid.
- Laser resurfacing – this method is used on depressed acne scars by removing the layers of skin and allowing the body to produce new skin cells.
- Soft tissue fillers – your dermatologist will fill your acne scars with collagen or with your own fat to plump your depressed acne scars.
- Injection – injection of corticosteroids can help flatten your raised acne scar if you have keloid scars. Although this method might need several visits to your dermatologist for several sessions of injection.
- Dermabrasion – this treatment uses a rotating wire brush to remove the top layer of your skin resulting in the removal of your surface acne scars.
- Chemical peel – there are different types of peeling treatments that your dermatologist can suggest depending on your skin type and the type of your acne scar
- Skin needling – this is the process of inserting tiny needles into your skin to stimulate your body in making more collagen that can help reduce your scars by smoothing out your skin
- Surgery – if all other methods cannot reduce the appearance of your scar, your dermatologist can suggest surgery to remove your raised acne scars
- Skin tightening – this type of treatment tends to be more affordable than the other treatments. Your dermatologist will use radiofrequency to tighten your skin, and as your skin tightens, your depressed acne scar will become less noticeable.
Most of the treatments mentioned can reduce the size and visibility of your acne scars. However the results may still depend on the severity of your scar and your skin type. You may need several visits to your dermatologist to achieve clearer skin and for your acne scars to fade.
At Doral Health and Wellness Dermatology Center, we have the best dermatologists who can help you take care of your skin. As dermatology experts in East New York, we are dedicated in providing the best services. You can visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York to schedule an appointment. You can also call us at 718-719-6010 or visit our website at https://www.bestbrooklyndermatologist.com.