Abdominal Pain: Types and Causes
Abdominal pain is the discomfort that you feel around your belly region. Oftentimes we considered it as stomach pain or stomachache, but the pain that you feel in your abdomen area can be coming from other organs besides your stomach. Because your abdomen is home to your other organs, such as:
- Small intestine
- Large intestine
If you have or are experiencing any type of abdominal pain, contact Doral Health and Wellness and talk to our primary care doctors. They are the best doctors in Brooklyn, and they can help you with your condition.
There are several types of abdominal pain, which are usually based on how quickly the pain escalates and how long it lasts.
- Acute – acute abdominal pain caused by various conditions have symptoms that develop within hours to days. Causes can vary from minor conditions that may be resolved without treatment to conditions that need a trip to the emergency room, including:
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Intestinal obstruction
- Kidney infection
- Liver abscess
- Mesenteric ischemia
- Ruptured spleen
- Spleen infection
- Urinary tract infection
- Viral gastroenteritis
- Chronic (intermittent) – chronic pain is a pain that lasts longer. Symptoms for chronic abdominal pain can vary from mild to severe and it usually comes and goes, but its specific causes may be difficult to determine. Some of the conditions that can cause chronic abdominal pain can include:
- Celiac disease
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Hiatal hernia
- Ovarian cysts
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Peptic ulcer
- Sickle cell anemia
- Ulcerative colitis
- Progressive – progressive pain means a pain that steadily worsens over time and is usually serious. Some of the causes of progressive abdominal pain include:
- Crohn’s disease
- Enlarged spleen
- Lead poisoning
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
Abdominal pain has many possible causes. It can be due to digestion, infection, or injury, or it could also be due to a disease or other illnesses. Usually, the most common causes are temporary and not serious, but there are conditions that might require more urgent medical attention.
The most common cause can be due to:
Digestive issues – if you are experiencing abdominal pain after eating, it can be due to the following:
- Food allergies
- Food poisoning
Inflammation – an irritation or infection in the organs in your abdominal area may cause inflammation, such as:
- Stomach flu
- Ulcer diseases
- Acid reflux
- Urinary tract infections
- Kidney infections
Female reproductive cycle – if you have a uterus, you might experience abdominal pain because of menstrual cramps.
The location and pattern of your abdominal pain can provide clues, but it is best that you have it checked by your medical provider for a proper diagnosis.
Everyone will experience some kind of abdominal pain at some point in their life. And most of the time, it is not serious and can be resolved by itself. But sometimes it can also be a sign of a more serious illness.
At Doral Health and Wellness, we have a family doctor that can help you manage and treat abdominal pain. For more information, you can visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York, 11212, or call us at 1-347-384-5690. You can also visit our website at https://doralhw.org or contact us at email@example.com if you have any queries. We have the best primary care doctor in Brooklyn to provide you with the best comprehensive medical care and health care services.
For urgent medical emergencies, you can visit Doral Health and Wellness Urgent Care. We provide urgent and comprehensive care for most health problems. For more info, visit us at http://www.urgentcareclinicbrooklyn.com/ or call us at 1-347-384-5690.