Can You Prevent Kidney Stones?
Kidney stones are mineral deposits that become concentrated enough in the urine to form crystals in the kidney and cause severe pain when they pass in the urinary tract and get stuck. Kidney stones treatment is available at Doral Health and Wellness Urology Center. We have the best nephrologist in Brooklyn to help you with your condition.
Preventing kidney stones is not complicated but it takes a lot of determination. Although there is no one sure way to prevent kidney stones from forming, a combination of a healthy diet, lifestyle change, and some medications may reduce your risk of developing kidney stones.
Here are some of the natural ways you can do to prevent kidney stones:
- Staying Hydrated – drinking more water is the best way to prevent kidney stones. Try drinking around eight glasses of water daily. Not drinking enough water means your urine output will be low. And when your urine output is low, your urine will be more concentrated and will be less likely to dissolve urine salts that cause the stones to form.
- Eat less sodium – eating less salt will help urine calcium levels lower and you will less likely to develop kidney stones. Reading foods labels will help reduce sodium intake, listed below are some of the foods known to contain an elevated level of sodium:
- Processed foods, such as chips
- Canned vegetables
- Foods that contain sodium nitrate, monosodium glutamate, and sodium bicarbonate
- You can use fresh herbs when cooking to add more flavor to your food.
- Eat calcium-rich food – one of the most common kidney stone types is calcium oxalate stone, leading people to believe that they should avoid eating calcium. A low-calcium diet may increase your risk of having kidney stones. Calcium supplements, however, may increase your risk of having kidney stones.
- Eat less animal protein – foods high in animal protein are acidic and can increase urine acid. High urine acid can cause both uric acid and calcium oxalate kidney stones. Avoid these as much as possible:
- Avoid stone-forming foods – beets, chocolate, rhubarb tea, coffee, wheat bran, and most nuts are rich in oxalate which contributes to forming kidney stones.
- Avoid vitamin C supplements – According to studies, if you take vitamin C in high doses you have an extremely elevated risk of forming kidney stones.
- Explore herbal remedies – There are available herbal remedies that are believed to help prevent and treat kidney stones. But you should use herbal remedies with caution because most of the time they are not professionally researched by specialists.
Kidney stones are common and though there is no guarantee that this prevention method really works, they can surely reduce the risk of developing kidney stones. If you are experiencing severe pain caused by kidney stones, you should immediately seek medical help.
For more information, you can visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York, 11212, or call us on 1-347-384-5690. You can also visit our website at https://doralhw.org or contact us at email@example.com if you have any queries. You can visit Doral Health and Wellness to get a consultation with the best Neurologists in East New York. We provide comprehensive care for kidney infections and have top-of-the-line facilities for kidney disease dialysis.