Our eyesight is the most important sense in our body. Without it, how can we make sense of the world around us? Not taking care of our eyes can lead to vision loss and other eye diseases. We must be able to identify when our sense of sight declines to prevent further eye problems. Taking care of our eye’s health is as important as taking care of our body’s health.
Our eyes, like most of our organs, are prone to stress and injury if not properly taken care of. Most eye illnesses occur in the later part of our life so it’s better to start early in taking care of them. Vision loss, blindness, glaucoma, and cataracts are the most common eye diseases.
By protecting our eyes, we are reducing the risks of such illnesses. Some people do not go in for check-ups unless they start to experience changes in their eyesight. These are some of the tips on how to better take care of our eyes:
- Go for a regular eye check-up – Going in to see your eye doctor regularly helps you protect your eyesight. Catching eye problems early on will be easier to treat, avoiding long-term medication.
- Eat a balanced diet – Eating a balanced diet not only gives you a healthier body but also healthy eyes and healthier eyesight. Always aim to stay healthy by achieving a healthy weight. This reduces your risk of obesity and other related diseases such as diabetes which is the leading cause of blindness in most adults.
- Wear sunglasses when going out – When stepping out, wearing sunglasses will protect your eyes from sun exposure and UV radiation. Too much sun exposure can damage your eyes and increase your risk in contacting glaucoma and/or cataracts
- Wear protective eyewear – Always aim to protect your eyes from any injury. Wear the appropriate eyewear when going out especially when doing strenuous activities.
- Rest your eyes – Working in an office force you to spend almost all of your time in front of a computer. You must not forget to exercise your eyes, look away from the computer and blink your eyes for several minutes. Try to do the 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 minutes, look away for about 20 feet and blink your eyes for 20 seconds.