Chronic kidney disease
Chronic kidney disease (CKD), also known as chronic renal disease, is a long-term condition where the kidneys don’t work the way they should. It is a condition mostly associated with aging.
Chronic kidney disease can include conditions that damage the kidneys and decrease their ability to filter waste from the blood. When the kidneys stop working it can cause dangerous levels of excess fluid, electrolytes, and wastes buildup in the body. Kidney disease treatment is available at Doral Health and Wellness. We have the best nephrologist in Brooklyn to help you with your condition.
Symptoms of chronic kidney disease develop over time. During the preliminary stages of this condition, there are no or few symptoms. Patients with chronic kidney disease may not know they have the condition until the condition is in its advanced stage. However, during the advanced stage, you may notice that you:
- Feel more tired and have less energy
- Have poor appetite
- Experience muscle cramping at night
- Have trouble sleeping
- Have swollen feet
- Have puffiness around the eyes, especially in the morning time
- Have trouble concentrating
- Have dry and itchy skin
- Needs to urinate more often, especially at night
Chronic kidney disease is usually caused by other conditions that affect the kidneys. Oftentimes it is a combination of different medical problems. Chronic kidney disease can be caused by:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Kidney infections and inflammation
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Long-term and regular use of certain medicines
- Blockages of the urine flow, such as recurrent UTI (Urinary Tract Infections) or an enlarged prostate
Chronic kidney disease has no known cure, but there are treatments available that can help relieve the symptoms and prevent it from getting worse. Treatments will vary depending on the severity of the condition. The main treatments can include:
- Lifestyle changes to help you maintain as healthy as possible
- Medications to control associated health problems
- Dialysis, a treatment that mimics some of the kidney’s function
- Kidney transplant, this surgery may be necessary for an advanced stage of CKD
CKD can be a mild condition or a profoundly serious condition where the kidney stops working leading to kidney failure. Most people with CKD can control their condition with medicine. If you or someone you love have CKD, even if it is mild, it is better to have regular check-ups to monitor the condition. CKD can also increase the chance of developing other serious problems, such as cardiovascular disease. Cardiovascular disease is one of the main causes of death in people with kidney disease.
If you have a medical condition that can increase your risk for kidney disease, consult your medical practitioner immediately. Early detection of kidney diseases can help prevent kidney disease from progressing to kidney failure.
For more information, you can visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York, 11212, or call us at 1-347-384-5690. You can also visit our website at https://doralhw.org or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries. You can visit Doral Health and Wellness to get a consultation with the best Neurologists in East New York. We provide comprehensive care for kidney infections and have top-of-the-line facilities for Kidney disease dialysis.