Finding the Right Kidney Doctor: How to Choose the Best Nephrologist for Your Needs
If you have been diagnosed with kidney disease, you may want to visit a kidney specialist and the best one for that matter. You will need a nephrologist. A nephrologist is a medical doctor who deals with the treatment and diseases of the kidney. They are a doctor that is expert in caring for your kidney. Your kidneys are part of your urinary system, and they work as filters to your blood, they also remove waste and excess water in your body through urine.
If you notice signs and symptoms of any kidney disease and problems, you can consult Doral Health and Wellness Urology Center and consult the best urologists in East New York.
Although your primary care doctor is trained to treat a wide variety of illnesses and diseases, a kidney doctor or a nephrologist, is a specialist and an expert in handling any diseases and issues regarding your kidney.
A nephrologist will help you diagnose and treat the following conditions:
- Chronic kidney disease
- End-stage renal failure
- Kidney stones, a urologist can also treat this condition
- Kidney infections
- Kidney cancer
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Kidney swelling due to interstitial nephritis
- Toxic overdoses that require dialysis
- Blood or protein in the urine
They can also be involved in treating other diseases that can cause kidney disease, such as:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Autoimmune diseases, such as lupus
- Other medications
With a little research, you can find a nephrologist that fits your needs. Here are some of the suggestions on how you can start looking for a nephrologist:
- Get referrals. You can start with the nephrologist that your primary care doctor suggests. Or you can ask around friends and family members for recommendations. Take the time that you need so you can research their credentials and experiences.
- Consider their experiences. Always keep in mind that when it comes to your health, experience does matter. The more experience the nephrologist has with a condition or procedure, the better. Ask how many patients he treated or how many procedures he has performed.
- Read patient reviews. It would be very helpful to read what other patients have to say about a doctor. Reviews can provide you with insight into how a doctor practices their field and how they interact with their patients.
Aside from these tips, there are other considerations you might want to take into account when choosing a nephrologist.
- Location – especially when you are working or have other things to attend to, it is best to take into consideration the travel time that you need going to-and-fro.
- Availability – aside from location, consider your doctor’s availability. There are doctors that offer evening or weekend hours, which could be very suitable for you especially if you have family and other things to attend to.
- Compatibility – look for a doctor who is not only good at his job but also someone who makes you comfortable. You will be developing a friendship with this person, and it is important that you feel relaxed and safe when you talk to them.
- Insurance – this is one of the things that you need to take into consideration in looking for a doctor. If you have health insurance, check, and make sure that the doctor you choose or have chosen, accepts your health insurance.
Always remember that choosing a doctor will be your personal choice. Look for someone who is trustworthy and compassionate.
Are you looking for a kidney specialist that you can trust? At Doral Health and Wellness Urology Center, our doctors are experts who have extensive knowledge and broad experience in treating kidney disease and illnesses. Talk to our nephrologist and schedule an appointment with us. You can visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11212, or call 1-347-384-5690. You can also visit our website at https://www.urologistbrooklyn.com/.