Tips for Taking Better Care of Your Eyes
Your eyes are an essential part of your health. You use your eyes to see and enjoy the world around you. But there are diseases that can affect your eyes and can lead to vision loss. Eye problems are easily avoided if you take care of your eyes by practicing eye care habits every day.
Having a regular eye exam can help you detect eye conditions early on. Even though you have no signs and symptoms of having eye problems, it is best that you go for your annual eye exam. At Doral Health and Wellness Ophthalmology Center, our eye doctors can schedule you for different types of eye exams, including a retinal evaluation. Visit our clinic or you can check our website at https://www.ophthalmologybrooklyn.com to see all our offered services that can help you manage your eye conditions.
These are some of the simple yet effective tips that can help you in taking better care of your eyes:
- Avoid Rubbing your eyes – Your hands are exposed to dirt, dust, and other bacteria all day, and all of them are easily transferred to your eyes each time you touch or rub them. So avoid putting your hands in your eyes to prevent germs from spreading and getting your eyes infected or irritated.
- Practice frequent hand washing – wash your hands regularly to keep the bacteria at bay and prevent them from getting in contact with your eyes.
- Protect your eyes from the sun – to much exposure to sunlight and UV rays are bad and may increase your chances of getting age-related macular degeneration and may cause other problems like cornea sunburn. Eyeglasses are not just for fashion but most especially for the protection of your eyes. Using caps, visors, and hats is also advisable when going out.
- Hydrate – Fluids are critical to eye care. And the well-being of the body. Lack of hydration could lead to sunken, hollow, and discolored eyes.
- Quit Smoking – Smoking could increase your risk for diseases such as macular degeneration and cataract. Smoking could also damage your optic nerve and could cause severe dry eyes.
- Sufficient sleep – good rest is also good for the eye as your eye needs rest too. Make sure that you get enough sleep to keep your eyes healthy.
- Balanced diet – Eating a balanced diet containing antioxidants that are beneficial to eye care.
- Comfortable working environment – computer monitors should be about arm’s length away from the eyes to avoid strain on the eyes. Make sure that you are working in an environment with sufficient lighting.
- Wear eye safety gear during activities – in whatever you do, never forget to protect your eyes.
- Regular eye checkups – One of the best eye care is a regular checkup. Regular eye check-ups and exams will also help in detecting age-related eye problems, such as cataracts and glaucoma.
The eyes are one of the most important organs in the human body. Your sight should not be taken for granted and eye health should be a priority. If you notice a change in your eyesight, seek immediate medical attention. It is better to take precautionary measures than seek help when damage is already irreversible.
At Doral Health and Wellness Ophthalmology Center, our eye doctors can do different kinds of eye exams. To schedule an appointment, please call us at 1-347-384-5690 or visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11212. You can also visit our website at https://www.ophthalmologybrooklyn.com.