What is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is a hormonal condition common among women of reproductive age. Women with PCOS produce higher than normal amounts of male hormones. This hormonal imbalance causes infrequent or prolonged menstrual periods that make it harder to get pregnant. Schedule an appointment with the best GYN in East New York at Doral Health and Wellness – Women’s Health Center.
Doctors don’t really know the causes of PCOS though they believe that elevated levels of male hormones are the ones that prevent the ovaries from producing eggs normally. Genes, insulin resistance, and inflammation have all been linked to excess estrogen production.
Early diagnosis and treatment may reduce the risk of long-term complications of PCOS.
Symptoms may develop sooner or around the first menstrual period during puberty or may develop later in a woman’s life. The signs and symptoms may vary but the most common you may experience are:
- Polycystic ovaries – Your ovaries may be enlarged and contains follicles surrounding the egg
- Irregular periods – infrequent, prolonged, or absentee periods are the most common signs of PCOS.
- Elevated estrogen – your male hormones may be higher than normal. Causing you to develop physical signs such as facial hair and occasionally severe acne
- Acne – Estrogen can make the skin oilier that causes breakouts in areas like the face, chest, and back
- Weight gain – Most women with PCOS are overweight or have obesity
- Other symptoms include darkened skin or skin tags, pelvic pain, and mood swings
There are really no known causes of PCOS. Doctors don’t know all the reasons why most women develop PCOS. Though it could be attributed to genes. If your mother and/or sister have it, you most likely would have it too. It could also be that your body produces too much insulin which affects your ovaries and its abilities to ovulate.
Your healthcare provider will typically have your blood checked for hormonal imbalance. They will also conduct pelvic exams as they can look for problems in the ovaries and other parts of your reproductive organ. An ultrasound could also help check for abnormal follicles in your ovaries and uterus.
If you have the symptoms of PCOS, it is best to consult a medical provider. At Doral Health and Wellness, our gynecologist can help diagnose and treat your PCOS. To book an appointment, please visit or call 718-DORAL-55. At Doral Health and Wellness – Women’s Health Center, we have the best GYN doctor in East New York, and we provide women with quality healthcare services. To schedule an appointment, you can visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11212, or call us on 1-347-384-5690 or 1-347-955-3465. You can also visit our website to book an appointment online at https://doralhw.org or contact us at email@example.com if you have any queries.