Hormones and male infertility
The human body makes chemicals called hormones which act as ‘messengers’ and help regulate growth and development, moods, fertility, metabolism, hunger, thirst, body temperature, and sexual functions.
What is hormonal Imbalance and how is it linked to Infertility? Hormonal imbalance is an alteration in the hormones in your body (either a change in the hormone(s) release, interactions with other hormones, or their ability to respond to cell signals). Even a tiny disturbance in the delicate balance of these hormones can have disastrous effects on your reproductive health.
The three main Hormones responsible for Fertility in Men are:
- Luteinizing Hormone
- Follicle Stimulating Hormone
- Testosterone is produced in the testicles and is responsible for the process of sperm production (spermatogenesis); specifically, it drives the division and differentiation of sperm cells.
- It is also responsible for the growth of your sex organs and for the changes in your body (body hair, changes in voice, and muscle growth) during puberty.
Testosterone deficiency will not affect your sperm health but can cause symptoms like- low sex drive or erectile dysfunction.
Luteinizing Hormone (LH)
- It is produced by the pituitary gland in your brain and is responsible for the signal to produce Testosterone.
An imbalance in the Luteinizing hormone will lead to erratic testosterone levels and affect sperm quality and fertility.
Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
- Follicle-stimulating hormone is produced in the brain by the pituitary gland and is particularly important for sperm production.
- It works in close association with luteinizing hormone.
An imbalance in FSH can cause changes in sperm quality (count, morphology, and motility).
Recognizing the Risk Factors for Infertility in Men
Hormone imbalances can be the result of:
- Poor or unhealthy diet
- Excessive weight
- Excessive stress
- Chemicals in the Environment
- Excessive alcohol consumption or drug use
- Steroid use/abuse
- Chronic diseases
- Certain Medications
Contact Doral Health and Wellness today to schedule a fertility consultation.
Symptoms of infertility
You may experience symptoms such as:
- Muscle Weakness.
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Reduced body hair growth.
- Low sperm count.
- Loss of Sex drive.
- Mood changes.
- Breast tenderness and overdevelopment of breast tissue.
- Thinning hair (male pattern hair loss).
It’s not always easy to recognize the symptoms of hormonal imbalance because they can resemble the normal effects of aging.
Treatments for hormonal imbalance
Hormonal imbalance is manageable and can be treated by simple measures like lifestyle changes (such as weight loss or diet modification) and medications.
If you or your partner are trying to conceive and are having reproductive problems, Contact Doral Health & Wellness today to schedule a fertility consultation. At Doral Health and Wellness, we have doctors that can help you manage your condition. For more information, you can visit us at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York, 11212, or call us on 1-347-384-5690. You can also visit our website at https://doralhw.org or contact us at email@example.com if you have any queries.