Nutrition for healthy eyes
Did you know about the foods that your eyes need to stay healthy and give you perfect vision? If you didn’t, you should add these foods to your diet because it allows improving your vision significantly and keep your eyes healthy in the long term.
It is a common misconception that your vision gets weaker as you age. But this is far from the truth, your lifestyle determines how your eyes work. So, it is in your hands to keep your vision better by eating healthy foods. It also reduces the risk of developing eye conditions.
Because these foods mentioned below contain a wide range of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can prevent some major eye conditions if you include them in your diet regularly. Cataracts, dry eyes, poor night vision, glaucoma, or age-related muscular degeneration (AMD) are easily preventable with these healthy foods’ antioxidants.
Your eyes need these antioxidants to stay healthy:
- Vitamin A, C, E
- Omega-3 fatty acids
A balanced diet is not only good for your eyes but also your overall health. On the other hand, foods that are unhealthy (which contain saturated fats, high in sugar and calories, or are low in nutrients and antioxidants) are not only bad for your eyes, but overall health.
Foods for healthy vision
Here is the list of the foods that you should include in your diet for better eye health, including:
- Fish: The first food is fish as it contains healthy fats (omega-3 fatty acids) which can help in visual development and regulate the overall health of the retina in the eye. It helps to prevent dry eyes and protect your eyes from Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and glaucoma. The best source of omega-3 in fish is salmon. Other than salmon, you can consume tuna, trout, mackerel, sardines, anchovies, herring, etc. Add fish to your diet for a few days a week. When buying salmon, always choose wild-caught salmon rather than farm-raised salmon because it contains more saturated fat instead of omega-3. Eat fish by grilling or broiling or you can add some seasoning of fresh herbs, lemons, salt, and pepper for a delicious meal.
- Eggs: Next are eggs, as they contain vitamin A, lutein, zeaxanthin, zinc, and other vital nutrients and antioxidants required to maintain good eye health. Vitamin A protects your cornea (the surface of the eye). Lutein and zeaxanthin lower the risk of serious eye conditions like AMD and cataracts. Zinc is required to maintain the health of the retina and improve vision to see things at night. You can eat eggs at any time by boiling them, frying them, etc. You can put them in salads and sandwiches. You can eat boiled eggs as a snack.
- Nuts, legumes, and seeds: Nuts and seeds also contain omega-3 fatty acids and also vitamin E. Almonds contain Vitamin E in high quantities. This vitamin protects your eyes from unstable molecules that target healthy tissue and consuming it on regular basis protects your eye from AMD or cataracts. Other nuts and legumes that contain vitamin E are hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, peanuts, and peanut butter. You can eat them as snacks at any time. Just eat them according to the serving size as recommended. Almonds are high in calories, so try to limit your intake to 1 or 2 servings a day.
- Dairy products: Dairy products like milk and yogurt are good for the eyes as they contain vitamin A and zinc. Vitamin A protects the cornea and zinc helps transport vitamin A to the eyes from the liver. Zinc can be found all over the eye, especially in the retina and choroid. Zinc improves your night vision and prevents cataracts. These products come directly from grass-feeding cows most beneficial. You can consume it throughout the day. Drinking a glass of milk at night is useful. You eat yogurt as a healthy snack for your breakfast.
- Carrots: The most common vegetable recommended for good eye health, carrots contain Vitamin A and beta-carotene. Vitamin A is important for vision. Carrots have a component of a protein called rhodopsin which helps your retina to absorb light. Beta carotene is used to produce vitamin A, which keeps the cornea healthy and prevents eye infections and conditions. You can consume it as a snack on your go or eat carrots as salads or add some of them in soups.
Eating healthy is always beneficial not only for the eyes but also for the overall body. Maintaining good eating habits is essential for eye health. Antioxidants can prevent serious eye conditions and make sure that your eyes work at their best. In case you cannot get nutrition from the diet ask your healthcare provider about supplements that you can take. People who have vision problems are very restrictive with their diets. So, you should talk to the doctor about what is the right food to eat for your eyes.
We can help you achieve perfect health by giving you a trial nutrition plan that is specially customized for you. Call us on 13473845690 to get a consultation. Doral Health & Wellness is easily accessible by bus, taxi, or subway. Walk in for an appointment at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11212. You can also visit our website to book an appointment online at https://doralhw.org or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries.